Celebrate the Chinese New Year!
February 3rd is the beginning of the Chinese New Year!
Celebrate the Year of the Rabbit with…
CHINESE ALMOND COOKIES (from Taste of Home)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and extract. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork. Sprinkle with almonds.
- In a small bowl, beat egg white and water. Brush over cookies. Bake at 325° for 14-16 minutes or until edges and bottoms are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: about 5 dozen.
STEAMED DUMPLINGS (from a recipe card)
Chinese cabbage/Bok Choy -2 or 3 stalks
(2) green tail onions
1 TBSP soy sauce
1 tsp. salt
1 TBSP cornstarch
1 lb. ground pork or ground veggie meat
1 package of dumpling wrappers
dipping sauce:1/4 cup soy sauce + 2 TBSP white vinegar
-finely chop the Chinese cabbage/bok choy and green tail onions. add to bowl.
-add soy sauce, salt, cornstarch, and ground pork, to bowl. mix well with a wooden spoon.
-add 2 quarts of water to a large pot and bring to a boil. drop in the dumplings and cover.
-pour in 1 cup of cold water when the water starts boiling again. repeat this step two more times. when the water boils for the 3rd time, the dumplings will be done.
– mix 1/4 cup soy sauce with 2 tablespoons white vinegar. serve this as a dipping sauce, with the dumplings.
DAZZLING DRAGONS! (a craft from Mailbox)
Materials for one dragon:
- one row of a foam egg carton, cleaned and sanitized (body)
- green construction paper scraps (ears)
- white construction paper scraps (teeth)
- green tempera paint
- white glue
- black permanent marker
- hole puncher
- curling ribbon
To make paint that adheres to foam, mix two parts glue with one part tempera paint.
- Paint the egg carton green. Then sprinkle glitter on the wet paint. Allow time for the paint to dry.
- Cut out ears and teeth and then glue them to the dragon.
- Draw eyes with the black marker.
- To make the dragon’s tail, hole-punch the end of the carton and thread several lengths of curling ribbon through the hole; then tie them in a knot under the dragon.